Friends of Tugman – April 2023 Report
The Friends of Tugman (aka The Tuggers) typically meet every other Wednesday from 10:00 am – 12 noon somewhere in Tugman Park. Exact time and park location is dependent on weather conditions and current project.
- We held two volunteer work events in April: 4/5 & 4/19
- April 5th highlights: the ground preparation work for the north end natural area (adjacent to the plaque circle bed) restoration project was completed by tarping and fencing the area to be restored along with appropriate signage placement.
- April 19th highlights: spring weeding was initiated in many of our natively planted beds and other areas throughout the park
- P&OS notified us that an order of approximately 7 cubic yards of bark chip mulch was ordered for our use at Tugman in the near future. We’re not sure of the exact delivery date at this point. This is welcome news since there is a major shortage of mulch in the P&OS inventory.
- A new planting plan utilizing native trees and shrubs for the Fawn Lily Rise (south slope) section of Tugman Park has been submitted to P&OS for hopeful inclusion in their next planting season (late 2023) budget and approval process.
- I’ve inquired again as to any details related to the remaining 2018 bond/levy funds earmarked for Tugman Park. Specifically, I asked about the timing and process involving planning, design, and construction phases for Phase 2 of Tugman improvements utilizing the remaining bond/levy funds. 2027 is now listed as the completion date for Tugman Phase 2. P&OS agreed to look into this issue further.
- We’ve initiated communication with P&OS to list the restoration work we have been doing at Tugman with the non-profit organization Homegrown National Park (https://homegrownnationalpark.org/). HNP is a new organization promoting habitat restoration on private and public lands. It is the brainchild of Prof. Doug Tallamy, who has been advocating restoring habitat for many years.
- In an effort to grow our volunteer ranks and to be even more productive in our efforts at Tugman, we decided to stage a Springtime Spruce Up volunteer work event on Saturday, June 3rd from 10 am – 12 noon. Hopefully, we’ll get some new passionate volunteers to help us in our beautification and restoration endeavors at the park. A notification of this Saturday 6/3 volunteer work event will be included in our upcoming (late April) SEN digital mailing (mail chimp) and on the SEN Facebook page.
- Our regularly scheduled bi-weekly Wednesday volunteer work events for May 2023 are: 5/3, 5/17, & 5/31 (10:00 am – 12 noon).