Tugman Tuggers October 2022 Committee Report
By John Ostrom
- We held only one formal volunteer work event in October on Wed. October 5th. We cancelled the event on Wed. October 19th due to unhealthy air quality. However, we did receive a bark mulch delivery in mid-October. This mulch has now been spread following weeding and prep around several trees and shrubs in the park’s north end and central lawn.
- Two new trash cans have been added to the park near the playground and shelter areas. The trash can near the restrooms and in the north end have been removed. Discussion has been initiated with the City P&OS and initial support has been given for at least a replacement trash receptacle in the north end.
- Our planting initiative of approx. 200 native trees, shrubs, forbs and grasses in the park’s north end is scheduled for Wed. 11/30, Thurs. 12/1 and Fri. 12/2.
- The restrooms at Tugman Park have now been closed for this upcoming winter season (2022-2023). A port-o-potty has been brought in and sits at the SE corner of the park near 38th Ave.
- We have submitted a new planting plan to P&OS for additional trees in the central lawn near the creek side pathway as well as a plan to remediate an overgrown invasive grassy area just south of the plaque circle in the north end. We’ve received initial feedback from P&OS and these endeavors will need to be vetted further by several P&OS team members.
- I’ve initiated dialog with P&OS personnel about renewing our Park Adoption agreement. Our current two-year agreement expires in February 2023. I plan on signing it as Co-Lead in February.
- Orders have been placed with P&OS for sun hats and T-shirts for Tugger volunteers.