Friends of Tugman – August 2023 Report
The Friends of Tugman (aka The Tuggers) typically meet every other Wednesday from 10:00 am – 12 noon somewhere in Tugman Park. Exact time and park location is dependent on weather conditions and current project.
- We held two volunteer work events in August: 8/9 & 8/23
- August 9th highlights: we irrigated the basketball court bed and the shelter/restroom area beds; we weeded in the central park area (e.g. spray park area, beds and walkways, central lawn tree rings); we spread the remaining bark mulch pile near the north bridge to several central lawn tree rings and north park area near the snag; trash was picked up park-wide
- August 23rd highlights: we irrigated the basketball court bed and the shelter/restroom area beds; we weeded in the central park area (e.g. spray park area, beds and walkways, central lawn tree rings) in advance of the SEN Annual Picnic on Saturday, Sept. 9th; we completed repairs to the solarization plot in the north end (e.g. re-secure posts and lines); trash was picked up park-wide
- Several days in August (outside of our two regular volunteer events detailed above) were spent irrigating the native plantings park-wide by numerous Tuggers.
- On August 17th several Tuggers collaborated with UO personnel (Dr. Jeff Diez and his students) along with P&OS personnel on site at the Fawn Lily Rise portion of Tugman Park to learn about the UO upland prairie restoration plot planned for Tugman Park. This plot is one of four in the greater Eugene area. The Tugman location was agreed upon and the plot has now been established utilizing solarization to clear the space with planting of numerous native species by seed to occur in the near future. Jeff Diez is an Associate Professor at UO in the Biology Dept. and the Institute of Ecology and Evolution. The exact participation of the Tugger team in this project has yet to be determined.
- The Tugger Team has made initial outreach to South Eugene High School (SEHS) in order to seek interest and participation in a Tugger upland prairie restoration project on Fawn Lily Rise (separate from the UO project listed above). We are also interested in learning if any SEHS students would like to get involved in our regular Tugger volunteer endeavors as well. Initial outreach to a SEHS science faculty member and club advisors (Gardening Club, Environmental Club) has occurred. We also have requested guidance from P&OS personnel regarding requirements (if any) for working with students on school sponsored projects as well as our regular volunteer events outside of school.
- Our regularly scheduled bi-weekly Wednesday volunteer work events for September 2023 are: 9/6 & 9/20 (10:00 am – 12 noon).
- The Tuggers will have a table/booth at the SEN Annual Picnic on Saturday 9/9 @ Tugman Park.